Saturday, August 24, 2013

A Soul City

I had heard about the term - soul country/soul city but had never given it much of a thought. Perhaps never felt anything amiss with where I was living. But when I moved, that is when I understood the meaning of how a city or country can be one's soul place because I can say that I have moved out of my soul city. Though with this move I have come back to my roots, the place where I breathed my first and the city where the extended family resides, but no this is no longer my soul city.

But what takes one place to reach that status for a particular individual. It is in fact much more than what can be expressed in words or conveyed to other person, still I am trying to put it down. I reached that city after completing 30 winters of my life, there was some amount of confidence that I had achieved already, began some routines for the family and for myself, stepped out of my comfort zone at various stages, took decisions which I always considered out of my range of capabilities, met wonderful people, formed lovely friends, learnt much more, got inspired by many, inspired many others, explored new paths, tried untried, did more, introspected more, dreamt more, developed taste and eye for uniqueness, got exposed to varied cultures, forgave more, loved more and lived more.

The city gave the sufficient impetus to my initiatives and provided the right amount of wind beneath my wings.

In short, I had sort of attained equilibrium. I was at peace with myself. Though never felt being aggressively chasing any dream or any aim, yet accumulated a lot over a short period of 7 years. 


When a city helps you - find yourself, identify yourself and develop belief in yourself, how can that city not be your soul city. It becomes immaterial whether it happens to be your birth city or no. I wish and hope someday I go back to the place which introduced me to myself like no other place did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment