Monday, July 6, 2015

New Experiments


When I look back it doesn't feel anything less than catharsis that I experienced the whole of last year. An event happened which almost completely changed the course of life, in fact, it feels as if the whole track of progression of life has been transformed. I spent many days dazed by the just overwhelming emotions and how they trampled me leaving me exhausted and gasping for some anchor, some foundation to hold on to. In the restless state I almost began with a vengeance what comes very naturally to me anyway - reading more. Read some self help books, some spiritual literature, personal sojourns of many who perhaps felt the same at some point of time, some travelogues, some travel diaries of people in search of self and so on. I could see a common thread running through all these kinds of books - what led these individuals on the path to discover more is usually some life changing event - in most cases loss of a loved one. So I could relate to the feelings, apprehensions and emotions that were narrated by the authors.
Read books written by authors as diverse as JP Vaswani, Karan Bajaj, Dalai Lama, Lance Armstrong to Sheryl.

Since the mind was so desperate to hold on to something, a few things did come out of these readings and which I gladly made a part of my life and routine. Even though these are being incorporated on experimental basis only but I do feel (at least for a moment if not more) my agitated state of mind transitioning to tranquility.

Firstly, Begin the day with a thought - Parampita (the almighty father) you stay with me throughout the day and day after day. Other mortals may have mortal parents but I have immortal parent who is looking after me.
Secondly, If any thought, any feeling or any situation brings disturbance to my system, remind myself of my companion first and then put the disturbing thing in his 'to do' list. It is for Him to take care of it, not me.
Finally, whenever hands are busy but the mind is not engaged, try to attach it to chanting of something - 'On Namo Bhagawate Vasudevay', hanuman chalisa, maha mrityunjay mantra, any other shloka or mantra. If nothing else, it does pull the mind away from negative thoughts.


Am I successful in implementing these three things all the time? No, but it is work in progress. I do consciously try to bring back the mind to these three things as frequently as possible throughout the day. Brisk walk early in the morning is the time which I look forward to, in order to try dedicating the rhythm of feet to the words - Om Namah Bhagwate Vasudevay…

No comments:

Post a Comment